Friday, November 30, 2007

disassembly begins

The car is now safely inside my workshop, and the rebuilding process has begun.
I spent yesterday evening, and this evening pulling off the carb, alternator, power steering pump, intake manifold, heads, and a bunch of other random stuff. It took some doing to get the intake off, as the gasket had melted to the block and didn't want to let go. I ended up having to tap a screw driver very gently into the seam in order to loosen it up, and then use a wrench as a pry bar on the front part of the manifold, and managed to get it off. Gotta be careful not to scrape up that surface... The heads came off pretty easily. The bolts were torqued on there well, so it took some elbow grease to get them off, but other than that they came off without a fight. And next thing I knew I was lookin down on the top of my pistons. not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure they aren't stock either. not much seems to be in this car. Here's some pics.











































The pistons didn't seem corroded, so it didn't seem that they were what is causing the engine to cease up like it has. I did notice however, that the lifters seem to be very much corroded and frozen up. I'm thinking that might be the problem, so I hosed them down with skunk pee, and they are soaking over night. Tomorrow Eddie's comin over and is gonna tell me what's what. If it's just the lifters frozen up, that's great news. without too much work, I should be able to get them loosened up, and see if she turns over. The good news so far is that everything else seems to be in moderate-great condition. The intake looks great, as do the heads/valves/pushrods/rocker arms/springs etc. The carb looks like it's in decent condition, might need a rebuild, not sure yet. but it's not in too bad shape at least, and I might even get away w/out rebuilding it for the time being.
So the next step: clean up the heads/intake, and free up the lifters. Then see if the engine turns, if it doesn't, then the engine is coming out definitely. I'm still not sure that I'm gonna pull it, but I'm thinking I will, if only so that I can repaint it and clean it up properly. But really everything is still up in the air at this point, cause I'm not 100% sure what the problem is. if freeing up the lifters solves it, then I will probly put the engine back together, and see whether I can start it up, before deciding how much more of a rebuild to do. can't wait to hear that engine growl. I'll add pics of the disassembled engine shortly.

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

Did you have to squeeze a bunch of skunks???

My77Project said...

no, we jumped out and yelled BOOO!!! and they were all so scared they peed their pants. ;-)

Peter said...

I think you need to give me your password for this thing so I can update it for you. For instance, you're an entire engine behind already, and the world doesn't know this yet!